Friday, June 3, 2011

The Next Milestone


On this day, exactly three years ago, I launched my second blog, Songsaengnim: A Korea Diary. I posted the rough draft of the first chapter of my book as a means to put pressure on myself, to keep me working on it. My idea was that if I had people reading my rough drafts, they would (hopefully) want to read more, so I would have to deliver more. As long as I had readers, I had to keep producing copy for you to read.

And thanks to you, it worked. Not only were my family and friends reading the rough chapters, but also complete strangers were visiting my site. And you were providing feedback. I received e-mails from around the world. Best of all, the messages were positive, touching. You told me to keep going, that you couldn't wait to read the next chapter. You offered suggestions for directions in which the story could go. You told me your hopes for the outcome.

You kept me writing.

My book has been finished for more than nine months now and has been selling in e-Pub format through Amazon for almost two months (in PDF format on the Songsaengnim blog site for longer). You've given me hope and I thank you for your continued support.

Today, on the third anniversary of my novel's blog debut, I reach another milestone. Today, my book will be sent to my publisher. If all goes well, Songsaengnim will be on bookshelves in Chapters and Indigo stores by the fall. I'm so relieved. Putting my book in someone else's hands will take some pressure off me and will allow me to devote more time to the sequel, Gyeosunim.

I'll keep you posted on the progress and let you know when you can start looking for it in the bookstores or ordering your copy online. And I hope you'll stay along the journey.

Because, without you, I wouldn't have made it this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment