Thursday, March 8, 2012

Anniversaries and Other Things for Which I'm Thankful


It's a week for giving thanks.

Twenty-three years ago on Monday, I started dating a woman who, five years later, would become my wife. At the time, we kicked our friendship up a notch. As Lori likes to put it, it was my birthday, she didn't have a present, and so...

Twenty-three years: so far, so good.

Thanks, Lori. You're the gift that keeps on giving.

If you saw yesterday's Wordless Wednesday post, you also saw what I was up to on Tuesday. It was the first tweetup that I had organized, and it was a success. Half a dozen Twitter friends joined me at the Mill Street Brew Pub, where we enjoyed good company, great food, and the most awesome beer in the city.

But this tweetup would not have been the success it was without the help and generosity of the folks at Mill Street. General Manager Peter Chase reserved a 10-seat table, decorated with balloons, and arranged some delicious munchies: pulled-pork-topped nachos, and drunken crab and spinach dip with pretzel rolls. Fabulous.

On top of the great seating and complimentary grub, Peter also arranged a private tour for our tweetup, led by Head Brewer, Adam Rader. Adam clearly explained the brewing process and talked about the beers that are exclusive to the pub. He answered all of our questions and made us feel welcome.

Sadly, Peter couldn't be at the pub to welcome us personally. But he left us in the capable hands of his assistant manager, Victoria Rouillard. I met Victoria last week, and she has a natural gift for making you feel special, making you feel welcome. And our server, Saunya, was friendly, helpful, and attentive.

For a new restaurant that has been open for only six weeks, Mill Street shows that it has its act together. I am a loyal and dedicated patron, and I am thankful to Peter, Victoria, Adam, and Saunya, for making the tweetup memorable.

Thank you.

And thank you to my friends who joined me.

One final note of thanks. Next Monday marks the fourth anniversary of my first blog, Brownfoot Journal. What was at first a newsletter for keeping family and friends in touch with the comings and goings of the Brownfoots grew to a diary for sharing my thoughts and opinions, for being silly, and for having fun.

What I didn't expect was that I'd get followers from outside my inner circle, that many of those followers would expand that circle. After more than three years, I decided to segregate my personal life from the other rantings that were becoming more prevalent in the Brownfoot Journal, and The Brown Knowser was born.

I will have more to say about this blog on it's first anniversary, but I wanted to say thank you to all of you who have followed me and read my nonsense. You keep me writing.

So this is a week that I can look back on and give thanks. I am one lucky bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment