Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I Need Two of Me


So, last night, as I was sitting on my porch, sipping the second bottle of yesterday's weiss and watching the light of the day fade, I needed an idea for today's blog post. I typically sit in front of my computer after I get the kids to bed and write the post for the next day.

But last night, I was out of ideas.

I mean, I have a lot of ideas, but it's a matter of timing. I have the Where In Ottawa photos for the next two months. I have this week's Wordless Wednesday. And after tweeting for ideas, I have an idea for Photo Friday.

I have ideas that, when I find enough free time, I'm going to write them out. But 10:00 the night before is not the time to write out these posts.

If only I had more time in my day.

I work at least 40 hours a week. I have two kids in dance class, one who has also started soccer. I have a house to maintain: lawns to mow, rooms to clean. Oh yeah, and I have one book to promote and another in the works, on top of The Brown Knowser.

My days are full. If only there were more hours in the week. If only there were two of me.

As most of you know by now, Songsaengnim: A Korea Diary has been available in online bookstores since March. Sales have been modest, but I'd like to see more books in more hands. Plus, I'd like to know what readers think of my book.

I've had feedback from friends and family, all of it positive. And I thank you for that. But what I need is for someone to give me his or her unbiased opinion of the book.

Have you read Songsaengnim? What did you think?

I can take it: the good and the bad. Please leave your comments on my blog or in an e-mail message (roland_axam@yahoo.ca).

If you haven't read my book yet, now's a perfect time. With summer vacations approaching, what better time than to sit down with a book? Go to my Songsaengnim blog to see a list of stores that offer paperback, hardcover, and e-reader versions of my book.

I have plans to work with Chapters-Indigo to get print copies in their online store, if not in my neighbourhood bookstore. I have talked to the folks at Collected Works, in Mechanicsville, about organizing a reading. But I haven't followed up. I've visited the Ottawa Public Library and inquired about getting Songsaengnim in their rotation. I received the paperwork, but haven't followed through.

I need two of me.

Maybe, I need an agent? I don't know.

I'm new to this, and one thing's for sure: I can't do this alone.

Stay tuned. I'll figure this out.

Incidentally: if you've read Songsaengnim and want more of Roland, I've started posting rough drafts of the sequel, Gyeosunim, online. So far, chapters 1 and 2 are available. There are a lot of spoilers in the sequel, so I strongly advise against reading it if you haven't read Songsaengnim.

No comments:

Post a Comment