Thursday, November 22, 2012

Serendipity


This week, I've been dabbling in poetry.

I should stick to prose.

I'm still playing with words, creating images. Whether I share what I've created with you is another matter. Don't hold your breath, but I may eventually work it into the novel I'm currently writing.

When I realized that my poetry wasn't going to see today's post, I considered not posting at all. And so I relaxed and watched a little TV, listened to some music. And then played the music over again. And again. And again.

I was listening to a CD. I haven't done that in a very long time. But I couldn't get enough.

And then it came to me: I needed to share this music.

The CD is one by a friend of mine that I first met on Twitter, then at a tweetup, then at a friend's home, then at a performance of The Vagina Monologues, and then again this week, when we shared a bottle of wine and chatted for a couple of hours.

I walked away with the CD and a better understanding of this wonderful person.

The artist is Amanda Cottreau. Her CD is entitled Universe in a Soft Shell.

The tracks can be described as hauntingly beautiful, as Amanda sings with an ethereal voice about sorrow, loss, and coping. I was moved by the instrumental composition of strings, particularly in the first track, Hiatus. I was hooked from that song and was taken on a journey for the rest of the CD, which is only five tracks long.

Having heard Amanda's story first-hand, I feel that it isn't for me to reiterate. It's not my story to tell. But I can understand the driving force behind her music. And I love it.

If you live in Ottawa and want an actual CD, it's available in Hintonburg, at Alpha Soul Café, where she performs on a regular basis.

For the rest of you, go to her site or to iTunes and download it. And spread the word: Amanda is amazing.

She is poetry—the real thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment