Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Walkin' In a Winterlude Wonderland

February can be a magical time of year in Ottawa: the snow is still on the ground, the weather can be cool, but pleasant, and one of the city's biggest festivals is in full swing.

I'm talking, of course, about Winterlude.

I love grabbing my camera and hitting the canal, or Jacques Cartier Park, or Confederation Park, and capturing people enjoying the winter weather. There's so much to photograph: skaters, snow slides, and ice sculptures.

This year, I am organizing a winter photo walk to coincide with Winterlude (although I won't be associated in any way with the festival). And so, I'm calling on all photogs to join me for an evening stroll on Friday, February 8.

We will start in Confederation Park, where we can expect lots of brightly lit ice sculptures and vendor booths. I believe that there will be a special covered pathway that will offer more photo opportunities.

We will then move onto the Rideau Canal, where we can capture skaters and other ice activities.

The photo walk should only take a couple of hours: I'm thinking from 6:30 to 8:30. The event will also be dependent on the weather, so if it's too cold, if there's a raging blizzard, or if rain has washed out the sculptures and canal, we'll have to reschedule.

If you want to come along, please go to my Eventbrite event and register. It's free. Just bring your camera. If you have one, a tripod is also recommended.

If you have any questions, leave them in the Comments section for this post and I'll get back to you.

I hope to see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could attend. Looks like fun. Count me in for the next one!

    ReplyDelete