Thursday, March 7, 2013

Welcome to Rideauville

One of the things that I love about my Where In Ottawa challenge is that, in thinking up clues I learn a lot of interesting facts about my city.


Take this month's location, which was solved yesterday. The building, which is the Old Ottawa South Community Centre and was once the Ottawa South Fire Hall (Craham Station No. 10), is in a part of the city that was tentatively named Rideauville.

I did not know that.

I was going to use that tidbit as a clue, had the contest gone to the end of the week, but winner Cheryl Hynes needed only the photo and the two clues I posted to solve the puzzle. Here's how the clues break down:
  1. In the old 'hood: this neighbourhood, which lies on the south side of the Rideau Canal from Lansdowne Park, has recently been called Old Ottawa South (instead of plain ol' Ottawa South) to distinguish it from the southern expanse of Ottawa, also known as South Ottawa.
  2. The fire's out: the fire station is now a community centre. The fire fighters are out, the neighbours are in.

Congratulations, Cheryl. By now, you should have your copy of my book. Enjoy.

Where In Ottawa will be back next month with a new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment