Thursday, June 27, 2013

If I Have To, I'll Go Alone

Bluesfest is just around the corner, and I'm really looking forward to going. Last year, my family and I were out of the country, which made the first time in eight years that we missed out on this great music festival.

For seven years, I volunteered for the Ottawa Blues Society, selling t-shirts, trinkets, and memberships to our club. As a bonus of working this tent, I had unlimited access to the grounds, and I saw some outstanding performances. Highlights include Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, Great Big Sea, Metric, Cake, and Sam Roberts. I also saw Babe Ruth, who came to Ottawa a couple of years ago--their first time to our city in 38 years. And they rocked it.

This year, B.B. King is coming, and there's no way I'm going to miss his show. At 87, he still plays a mean guitar, but at 87, I don't know how much longer he's going to be playing, and I don't know if this will be the last time we'll see him in Ottawa.

So nothing will keep me from that show.

Another musician that I've wanted to see for some time is coming on July 12, and if I have to, I'll go alone. Matthew Good has been to Ottawa a few times over the past couple of years, and every time I've wanted to see him, I haven't been successful in finding company to come with me.

Lori isn't into Matt Good. She doesn't like many of his lyrics, hates when he uses coarse language. She also thinks many of his songs are full of angst. For me, that's fine: in that regard, he's sort of Canada's version of Steven Patrick Morrissey.

But Lori can't stand Morrissey, so I see her point.

Anyway, here's a video of Matt Good performing one of my favourite songs for Toronto radio station, 102.1, the Edge. The song is called "Born Losers."



What do you think? Would you go and see Matt Good? Would you come to Bluesfest with me?

'Cos, if I have to, I'll go alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment