Monday, July 29, 2013

Beer O'Clock: Palomar Lime & Chipotle Ale

Last week, I racked up my second Master of Beer Appreciation (MBA) status at Mill Street Brew Pub in Ottawa. I know, it's a tough life when you consume 85 pints of beer and receive recognition. I, by no means, am a leader in the MBA members at Mill Street. A friend of mine, who has been going to the pub for as long as I have, is either close to his fourth MBA or has just achieved it.

Another regular to the pub, has earned his fifth.

I love beer, but I don't have an addiction.

When you achieve your MBA, you receive a few perks from the pub. You get a pint glass with your name engraved on it. You can take it home or you can keep it at the pub, where you can have your pints served to you in your very own glass.

You also have your name engraved on a plate, which is affixed to a stainless-steel keg that celebrates all of the folks who have earned their MBA.

Also, you are treated for a dinner for two at the pub.

On Friday, I shared my MBA dinner with Lori and the kids. It was a perfect evening with clear skies and no humidity, and a gentle breeze that kept the bugs at bay.

My timing for this dinner was perfect, because the evening before saw the launch of the brew pub's latest one-off and I was very eager and excited to try it.
Palomar Lime & Chipotle Ale (5.5% ABV)
Mill Street Brew Pub
Ottawa ON
Beer O'Clock rating: 4.5
Appearance: a clear, effervescent, deep amber with an off-white head that settles to a thin cap.

Nose: not much off at the beginning, but eventually I detected a slight citrus scent with light caramel.

Palate: my taste buds were immediately met with fresh lime. As the beer washed over my tongue, I caught a wave of smoke, and then a mild burn at the back of the throat, like cinnamon hearts without the sweetness. There is a good balance of malt and hops.

After a few sips, my lips began to tingle a little bit. I had an overwhelming urge to kiss someone. Luckily, my wife was nearby.

Overall impression: I'm not typically one for complex, fruity ales, but Palomar is a refreshing ale with the right amount of bite. I tip my hat to head brewer, Adam Rader, for this adventurous and exciting ale. He has mixed real lime juice and Mexican chipotle peppers into this American amber ale and has created a unique summer thirst quencher.

Because this ale is a one-off, the Ottawa Mill Street pub will have a limited amount on tap. Luckily, it's also available in growlers at the pub.

I highly recommend that you grab some before it's gone. Who knows if and when they'll make more.

I had two pints at Friday's dinner: they count towards my third MBA, right?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment