Thursday, July 25, 2013

Can We Move On? Please?

Aww, that's nice: Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, has given birth to a healthy baby boy, Prince George of Cambridge. Eight pounds, six ounces. Ten fingers, ten toes. Two eyes, a nose, and mouth. As far as we know, a typical example of the male gender of the human race.

Now, can the press and media—and I'm including social media—please stop talking about him? Until, at least he does something that no other child does? And, I'm including nude photos of him with an unknown person at a frat party.

I understand that there are a lot of fans of Will and Kate, that the lovers of the British Monarchy live for this type of attention given to the Royal Couple. I admit, when the young couple tied the knot, my family was caught up in the wedding... I mean, Pip in that dress? What warm-blooded guy couldn't become interested?


Two years ago, when the Duke and Duchess visited Canada and made an appearance in Ottawa for Canada Day, my family and I headed downtown, climbed a lamppost, and waited for the carriage to pass by. With my camera at the ready, and Lori with my Flip, we captured some impressive images.

When the media learned of Kate's pregnancy, the crazies came out of the woodwork, making predictions of gender, name, of what the child would look like, what brand of whisky he or she would drink, and what Twitter nickname the child would chose.

Did you know that, according to online search results, more than 350,000 babies are born each day around the world? Last year, an estimated 2,000 babies were born each day in the U.K. alone. And yet, much of the world went ape-shit over the birth of one child.

I almost feel bad for the parents who welcomed their own offspring into the world on Monday. If those parents were hard-core monarchists, will they forever remind their child that they were born on the same day as the third person in line for the British Throne? Like the child should feel lucky for sharing his or her birthday with someone who knows nothing about him or her?

Don't get me wrong: I'm happy for the Royal Couple. I'm glad that George was born without complications, that both child and mother are fine. Just as I would be at the news of anyone having given birth. It's one of the most natural acts in the world; it's what keeps humanity thriving.

But enough of the press coverage. With mother and child back home, let them get on with living and learning about parenthood.

Let's get on with the rest of what's happening in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment