Tuesday, December 17, 2013

No Rush

Tempers flare. Voices rise.

In the weeks that lead to Christmas, humanity is lost. People fail to be courteous: a four-way stop? That's for others to obey, not me. If I can squeeze through, right behind the person ahead of me, the others can wait.

Why is that person doing the posted speed limit? Don't they know how to drive in the snow? Let me lean on my horn, to prod them along. And, as soon as I can, I'm going to race around them. Show them who's boss!

Wait behind that long line of cars that is waiting to make that turn? Not me: I'll just pull out and pass them all, only to cut back in line, closer to the intersection. I'm more important, after all.

I've seen these drivers on the road, lately. They aren't in as great a number when the weather is fine and road conditions are favourable. They seem to come out of the woodwork at this time of year, this silly season.

It must be the last-minute shoppers, or the ones who fret that their holiday isn't going to be perfect, just the way they want it.

And so they take their frustration and impatience out on the road.

It would be nice to ignore them, to pretend they aren't there, but you do so at your peril.

Getting angry is pointless. It solves nothing. Instead, take a deep breath, stay on guard.

Drive safely this season. What's your rush?

No comments:

Post a Comment