Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Encouraging Hookie

One of the benefits/curses of working in Québec is that I receive every June 24 off for Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day. It's nice to have an extra day off at the beginning of summer: it's especially nice when the holiday falls on a Friday or a Monday, because it makes a long weekend.

Because Saint-Jean-Baptiste falls exactly a week before our national holiday, Canada Day, I get two holidays in quick successions: again, especially when the holiday makes a long weekend.

But, because I work in Québec and my family and I live in Ontario, Saint-Jean-Baptiste tends to be a lonely day for me. The kids are in school, Lori is at work. I have no one to share this day with.

Except for this year.

For today, I have convinced Lori to take a day off work. We have pulled the kids from class. And we've headed out on the road, off to an amusement park for the day. We packed our bags on Sunday evening and loaded up the car mid-afternoon yesterday. We picked up the kids directly from school and headed for the Toronto area.

Playing hookie for the day and back home tonight.

Tomorrow, we're back to normal.

Merci, la Fête Nationale du Québec!

No comments:

Post a Comment