Friday, August 14, 2015

Photo Friday: Putting It In Print

It would be an understatement to say that, since I've been photographing with digital cameras, I have taken thousands of photos. Tens of thousands of photos.

I look around my house and I look at the number of those photos that I have actually printed, and I come up with two. Two photos: one, printed to a 4 x 6 print, of the whole family, when the girls were very young—maybe two and four. We shot it early in the morning, as the kids joined us to snuggle in bed. It was a happy morning, and the photo was shot with a point-and-shoot camera.

It was a basic camera taking a basic, happy family moment.

The other photo, a 5 x 7, shows the four of us, two summers ago, standing at the Rideau locks by the Chateau Laurier, our canoe held over our heads, as we finished our 200-km journey from Kingston to Ottawa. It was a triumphant moment, captured on my Nikon D80, my first and former D-SLR.

My mom took the shot when she came to get us.

Two photographs out of tens of thousands.

When I shot 35mm film, I constantly made prints of my photographs, had them mounted on plaques or hung in frames. In my old apartment, one long wall was lined with dozens of shots that I proudly displayed.

That art seems to have disappeared in the digital age.

But no more.

This week, I received a canvas print of one of my photographs that I shot on my recent trip to New York City. It's one of my favourite shots of that trip. I shared it when I returned home but was too tired to put out a proper blog post. It was a lazy post with one of my best photos.

It's now printed on a 24 x 36 canvas, and it looks like a painting. It's a work of art, if I may be so bold.

And now I want to print more.

Next up, this shot, taken on my last Brown Knowser Photo Walk. Again, I'm thinking 24 x 36. Thoughts?


The NYC subway shot looks so good, I'm thinking of making more and selling it. What do you think? I mean, every time I see the prints in Ikea, I think, I can take as good a photo, can't I? My NYC subway shot is as good as anything I've seen in that store.

Would you be willing to put one of my photos on your walls?

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Of all the hundreds of photos you and I shot on that NYC trip "23rd street" is by far my favorite. That shot of the gallery is beautiful! Definitely a large format print is required.

    Congrats on the amazing shots. I too am in the same boat. Thousands of pictures and none hanging on my walls. we are in the process of changing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marc!

      Now all I need is time to sort through my photos and decide which ones to print.

      And money. I definitely need the money to print them.

      Delete