Friday, April 22, 2016

Photo Friday: Third Time's a Charm

About a year ago, my wife and I nursed an orchid back to life. Or what I should say is, my wife diligently maintained an orchid that had bloomed, lost its flowers, and then had its stem trimmed back.

I just moved it into a better spot on the kitchen window sill and periodically let excess water drip from my fingers into the flower pot when I washed my hands at the kitchen sink.

Whatever we (she) did, the stem regrew, buds formed, and the orchid blossomed again.

When the flowers died, we repeated the process, and that brings us to now, where the orchid has marked spring in the Brownfoot household.

Whatever my wife and I are doing right, we hope it continues each year.

To capture this shot, I moved the orchid in front of my TV. Blinds, which I opened to the left of the shot, let afternoon sunshine pour into the family room. I set my camera on a tripod and operated it with my remote shutter release.

To keep the light from reflecting the brightly lit room on the TV screen, I held a black blanket between me and the back of the camera. The photo was shot with my Nikon D7200 with my 24–70mm 2.8 lens, set at 42mm. The shutter speed was half a second at f/8, with EV set at +1.0 and ISO at 100.

I figured, this being Photo Friday, I might as well give more information about taking the photo.

Here's the result:


Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment