Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Why I Went Back

For the first couple of days, it was easy. I would be in the office and would catch myself, wanting to tweet, but the app was gone, my account closed off. It would have been easy enough to log back on—I had 30 days to change my mind.

But I would pause and ask myself, did I really need to tweet about the crappy service in the office cafeteria? No. Did I need to tell everyone I was at Bluesfest? No.

As the days went on, it got easier to not be tempted to tweet.

But then, I started missing some of the things that I read on a regular basis: Ian Black's up-to-the-minute weather forecasts; breaking news; photos from my friends.

"Maybe, you just needed to get away for a while," my DW suggested. "Maybe, you need to see that you are not ruled by Twitter."

I went six days.

But when I reactivated my account, I went the whole day without sending a single tweet. I closed it down when I was working, determined not to distract myself. I still suffer from FOMO, after all.

I changed my nickname, from @RossBrownfoot to @BrownKnowser. I'm going to limit my tweets—my biggest loss was sending out notifications of new blog posts, though this is the first blog post since I announced that I quit Twitter.

So much for that.

Twitter is important to me, but I'm not going to let it monopolize my time.

Lots of people have left Twitter and come back. I remember when Canadian political journalist, Andrew Coyne, made national headlines when he walked away from Twitter. He went back.

Why can't I?

1 comment:

  1. I have often said that if I could only do one thing on the internet, it would be Twitter. It's not that I tweet a lot, or even read the feed very often but when I want to know what's going on, that's the fastest way to find out. Today, for instance, I was outside when I heard the fire siren. Then I heard only one truck go through a major intersection. I figured that had to be the pumper and there must be a grass fire someplace. Sure enough, after checking Twitter, I discovered there was a series of brush fires along the railway tracks and that County road 43 was closed from Perth to just about Smiths Falls. I was able to keep track of the updates on Twitter, better than I could have anywhere else, because it's not all coming from one source. I know how to search the key words to find more and was able to pass on the news to my friends on Facebook. I did retweet on Twitter too, a bit, but not as consistently as passing it along on Facebook. Just habit, I'm afraid. Must get better at remembering to retweet!

    ReplyDelete