Tuesday, August 2, 2016

When I Saw Blue Rodeo

The first time I saw Blue Rodeo was in 1986, at Barrymore's, when they opened for Midge Ure.

I couldn't wait for them to get off the stage so that I could listen to the guy I paid money to see.

The next time I saw the band was about seven years ago. I was volunteering at Bluesfest, so it wasn't so much that I went to see them than I was working on the night that they performed. I had a direct line of sight from the stage and the sound came in loud and clear.

I had more of an appreciation for them, but when they get really country, I tend to tune them out or wonder when they're going to get off the stage.

Two weekends ago, I went to Perth, to see them perform at a festival that celebrated the town's 200th anniversary. I went because I was visiting with friends and they all wanted to go.

Third time, it seems, was a charm. I was in no rush to see them exit the stage. That said, there were times when I tuned them out, when I became engaged in conversation with my friends.

This time, I was sad to see the show end.



No comments:

Post a Comment