Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Funny Guy, Again

I do a lot of things that waste time. I surf the Internet. I watch mindless hours of shows on Netflix, often series I watched when they first aired on network television.

I write this blog.

I'm also taking a night class, once a week, for no other reason than it makes me laugh and it lets people laugh at me. The laughing kind, where they're not pointing fingers at me while they do it.

I'm taking a stand-up comedy class.

Almost a year-and-a-half ago, I signed up for a sketch comedy class, and I had a great time, bouncing ideas off my classmates, listening to their ideas. We came up with about 10 sketches, which we worked on over the eight weeks of class and wrapped up the course by performing these sketches in front of students from another acting class, family, and friends.

It was a lot of fun, and even though we had to read our scripts because we hadn't taken enough time to rehearse and memorize lines, our performance was well-received.

I video-recorded the event, and one of these days, I'll share it.

This time, the material is all ours. We own it, but our teacher, actor-comedian Pierre Brault, helps us develop it. We also provide feedback to the other classmates.

Over this eight-week program, we hope to have a five to six-minute set that we will perform on our last class. Some of us may even perform live, at Absolute Comedy, in March.

I may be one of those folks, but we'll see.

If anything, this course will push me well past my comfort zone, which is the ultimate rush. I'm a shy person, by nature, but I keep trying to break myself of that social handicap.

It's fun, if not a waste of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment