Monday, April 24, 2017

Killer Suit

I've been binge-watching a lot of The Walking Dead on Netflix over the past few weeks, and I've become addicted to the high-tension, ultra-violent zombie drama. With each episode, I've wondered whether we can get through just one episode where we focus on a character-development line that doesn't involve any blood splatter or gory death.

So far, I'm still waiting.

On Saturday night, as DW and I were enjoying some drinks and lively conversation at the Black Dog Bistro in Manotick, my eyes would wander upward to one of the many TV screens that was showing the NHL playoff game that would have the Montreal Canadians handed their asses and given their walking papers.

I'm not a hockey fan but I knew that this was an important game for the team from my home town, and so every so often, I would check the score, in case I would have to discuss it with my hockey fan father-in-law.

It was during Coach's Corner, with legendary commentator Ron MacLean and his jester-sidekick Don Cherry, that I stopped to take notice.

Cherry, who is also known as Grapes to hockey fans, could possibly have spilled a claret on a pristine-white jacket. Or had a glass of it thrown on him before he went to air.



He's known for his flamboyant, custom-tailored jackets that would put Liberace to shame. I always thought that it was a matter of time before he finally stopped pretending and came out already.

It's okay, Don, it's 2017. You can do it.

But Saturday's jacket wasn't just eye-catching, wasn't flamboyant like his other out-there attire. It was shocking. Horrifying.

If he had just dispatched a walker, had helped save humanity from a zombie apocalypse, he should have said so.

If not, he should have stuck with the flowers.



Seriously, Grapes, you can come out of the closet now.

If you're up to date on The Walking Dead, keep it to yourself. I'm only halfway through the sixth season.

No comments:

Post a Comment