Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Sharing is Caring

I had planned to get on my bike this weekend.

Even though I won't be riding in this year's Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour, I am volunteering for the event. I'll be helping out as riders check out, from Perth, on the Saturday morning, and helping them check out again, the next morning, in Kingston.

DW is riding again, taking the 100-kilometre route, from Perth.

But we're both still members of the Ottawa Bicycle Club, both plan to do the group rides whenever the weather cooperates. 

It didn't cooperate on Sunday morning. We awoke to the rain, beating on our window, and said, "screw it."

Bicycling season is finally in full swing, now that the snow has melted on most paths and roadways, and now that the street cleaners have started sweeping away the salt and dirt from the edge of the roads. Each week, I see more and more avid cyclists on the road.

I just want to remind drivers that cyclists have every much a right to be on the road as automobiles. Everybody wants to make it home at the end of the day. Give us our room.


Cyclists, remember that you're on vehicles, that you have to abide by the same rules of the road as automobiles. On pathways, pedestrians have the right of way.

Sharing is caring. Let's all show we care.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment