Friday, May 5, 2017

Photo Friday: How My Garden Grows

It's a lens that I've neglected more than any of my other lenses. And yet, it's one of my best.

I only own two prime lenses. They're nothing fancy: a 40mm micro f/2.8 lens, which I use for close-up shots and have used several times for my Photo of the Day (POTD) project, and a lens that I've had for many years, had used a lot more when I had my D80 body.

My 50mm f/1.8 lens.

A couple of days ago, as I was thinking of a subject for my POTD, I noticed that this tiny piece of glass was being neglected in my camera bag. I thought that I would try to use it in my next photo, but the magnification was too much for when I sat in my car, in the Byward Market, on a rainy afternoon. It wasn't wide enough to capture a neon sign and the glow that sign left on a wet road.

On Wednesday night, as I prepared for my stand-up comedy bit at Absolute Comedy, I used my phone to capture a closeup of the microphone.

Finally, last night, as I was letting my cat back into the house from the back yard, I noticed that the tulips that grow along the back of our house were just about to bloom. Looking closer, I saw that only one was about to open.

Time to snap on the 50mm lens.

The wind was strong, last night, as the rain clouds started blowing into my Barrhaven neighbourhood. The heads of the unopened tulips were bobbing in the breeze, making it hard to focus on the lone, yellow flower.

I opened the aperture all the way, cranked up the ISO to 4000. It was going to be a grainy shot, but I would stop all motion.

I took five shots, but when I saw the results, only one was a clear candidate for my POTD.

Spring hasn't come as expected, hasn't made gardening possible. But when it comes to our tulips, they seem to take care of themselves.


Happy Friday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment