Monday, March 5, 2018

Commotions Under a Searchlight

The first time that I heard of the Ottawa soul band, The Commotions, was through DD14. Her drum teacher, Jeff Asselin, told her that his band was performing at a tailgating party for last year's Grey Cup, at Lansdowne. She, DW, and I thought that we'd go down to support his band, and so we decided to brave the upcoming snow storm and see what the commotion was all about.

I didn't realize that I would be blown away.

The 12-piece band filled the tiny stage beside the Aberdeen Pavilion. Despite the snow that slowly covered the stage, the band played on. The Commotions has a solid horn section, including Jeff's twin brother and founding member, Brian, on tenor saxophone, a driving rhythm section, and the powerhouse vocals of Jeff Rogers and Rebecca Noelle.

Their sound comes straight out of the golden age of Motown.



During that short show at Lansdowne, we learned that The Commotions were going to be playing at Babylon, on Bank Street, for their CD release party, and DW and I vowed to be there. The energy in that room went beyond measurement, and since that night, the band's music has been on steady rotation on my smartphone.



A couple of weeks ago, when I learned that The Commotions had entered CBC Radio's Searchlight contest, which recognizes new artists in Canada's music scene, I started voting. I was no longer just supporting DD14's music teacher: I was a big fan of the whole band.

I haven't been put up to soliciting help in voting for the band. My appeal is out of true appreciation for great music, and to see a new, local band make it big.

You can help, too, by going to the CBC Searchlight site at this link. Listen to their submission, "Too Little Too Late," and if you like the song, vote.

Want more?

Here is one of their new videos for their song, "Bad Girl."



If that didn't make your Monday, I don't know what will.

The Commotions will be playing this Saturday, March 10, at Irene's Pub. You can bet that I'll be there, cheering them on.

Come on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment